BPW34 & PIN diodes experiments

Begonnen von madexp, 30. März 2024, 06:45

⏪ vorheriges - nächstes ⏩

madexp

Easter is finally here! Whether one is religious or not, the appeal of a few days of well-deserved rest at home, or even better, spent in the lab conducting experiments, is undeniable.  :D
I had been wanting to try building a radiation detector based on common PIN photodiodes like the BPW34 or any others randomly found in the drawer for some time.
The idea of creating an ultra-portable beta and gamma detector, possibly as small as a fountain pen, excites me:
I could use a photodiode as a detector and a common 12V A21 battery for power... but what kind of circuit could I use?
Additionally, having access to 30x10x10mm CsI(Tl) bars, I thought of cutting them into three 10x10x10mm cubes to attach to the photodiodes with the aim of enhancing their sensitivity.

While searching online, I came across a series of two articles on the topic published by Elektor.
So, I immediately went ahead and built the last circuit they proposed, which is more performant and based on a FET.

For the assembly, I used a perforated board and SMD components soldered on the pad side. Unfortunately, the circuit turned out to be extremely unstable and noisy. This won't do at all!

Let's add an electrostatic shield and check if things will be better.

>:( Nothing! Still nothing, not even a piece of uranium ore in contact with the crystal nor an Sr90 62kBq check source results in any visible pulse on the oscilloscope trace!

This means that it's time to change direction! So, I decided to try the first circuit proposed by Elektor, which is based on two simple transistors.

At first glance, this design seems to be more immune to electrical noise, as there are no FETs at the input nor 20MΩ bias resistors, but will it really be able to detect anything? This prototype was also assembled on a piece of perforated board and, as a first test, I did not add any external shielding against radio interference.

Noise and more electrical noise! This circuit too seems destined to disappoint. Let's try adding the shielding, though!

"It's alive! It's alive!"

Ok, this circuit works, and the aluminum shielding proved to be essential for its proper functioning. I replaced the CsI(Tl) 10x10x10mm + 1x BPW64 detection block with one that is also CsI(Tl) 10x10x10mm but equipped with 2x BPW64. The pulses obtained were between 34mV and 100mV, with a baseline noise of 30mV. This circuit is absolutely promising! Now, I will proceed to test the same circuit with other SiPIN diodes including a 10x10mm Hamamatsu (unknown model) and some generic Chinese photodiodes (AliExpress) and will continue this post.

Zugpferd

Nicely described, thanks a lot, this will help others or will lead to great discussions with other SiPIN guys.
Even if that is quite interesting, it does not trigger my skills to work on that so far as it's not that reliable with my low level of knowledge. I try to understand my PMT and need to work on that if time is there.
Thanks Keule

Sehr schön beschrieben,  das wird sicherlich anderen helfen oder zu guten Diskussionen mit anderen anregen. Ich für mich werde damit trotzdem noch nicht starten da ich zu wenig Ahnung von der Materie habe und stürze mich lieber auf mein konventionelles Equipment wenn Zeit ist.
Keule

Radioquant98

Die Schaltungen sollten beide funktionieren.
Aber bei dem sehr hochomigen ist eine allseitige Schirmung nötig. Jeder cm offener Draht wirkt als Antenne und nimmt Störungen auf. Den zweiten Aufbau hast Du besser geschirmt. Beim Ersten ligen die Drähte zun Fotodiode frei.

Den Kristall hätte ich in ganzer Länge verwendet. Am Besten wäre eine Fotodiode mit 10mm x10 mm aktiver Fläche.

Aber eine Superidee für einen Mini"geiger"zähler, wenn man solche Kristalle hat.

Viele Grüße
Bernd

DL8BCN

Das bringt mich natürlich auf die Idee einen meiner LYSO Kristalle an so eine Photodiode anzukoppeln.
Mal schauen, wann ich dazu komme.

DG0MG

Zitat von: madexp am 30. März 2024, 06:45I thought of cutting them into three 10x10x10mm cubes to attach to the photodiodes

Wie hast Du die denn zerschnitten?
Der mittlere Teil hat ja dann keine polierte Fläche mehr oder waren auch die langen Seiten poliert?
"Bling!": Irgendjemand Egales hat irgendetwas Egales getan! Schnell hingucken!

madexp

The CsI material, whether doped with Tl or Na, is extremely easy to work with as it does not fracture. In particular, CsI(Tl) can even fall from a height of 1m and most of the time, it just gets dented! I have CsI(Tl) disks that are 3mm thick and 50mm in diameter which, when held between the fingers, can be bent. I mention this to convey the ease with which this material can be processed. How I cut my bar: with a simple saw blade for aluminum/iron. Furthermore, polishing the surfaces is not at all critical! A friend at Scionix taught me that it's enough to flatten the faces with 220-grit sandpaper and even his crystals, prepared in this way, have the best FWHM! Probably, making the crystal walls opaque reduces internal reflections and on the optical exit side, it acts as a diffuser. Theoretically, I honestly can't explain it, but practically, if they do it this way at Scionix, who am I to disagree? Moreover, it works great!!!

madexp

CONTINUE
--------
My current doubt is: how much does the presence of CsI(Tl) influence? Can I do without it?
Chinese photodiodes like the PD7430 with CsI(Tl) have less noise... is it possible that they also work without the crystal?

Well, the only thing to do is to test it. First with a single PD7430, then with two in parallel, and finally with four.
However, the test with four is negative. The noise is too high!

With one the signal looks good but finally with two diodes, the signal is quite strong, about 100mV/event with a noise line below 20mV.

This means that by connecting the output of the circuit to a comparator with a threshold at 30mV, I can light a LED to the rhythm of the pulses I want to detect. Excellent!

Radioquant98

Mit Kristall wirst Du wohl eine höhere Effizienz erreichen. Ohne detektieren die wohl eher Beta und bei unvergossenen Chips Alpha.

Das Rauschen kommt wohl vom Reststrom, der addiert sich, je mehr Dioden. Da solltest Du mal mit dem Arbeitspunkt etwas spielen - Betriebsspannung und Vorwiderstand oder gar jede Diode einen eigenen Impedanzwandler.

Viele Grüße
Bernd

madexp

Yup! That's exactly what I'm thinking... now I've to design a proper PSB and turn on my lathe an enclosure.
I will use MN21/23 battery (9.5mm diameter 30mm lenght 12V).

opengeiger.de

Vielleicht habe ich es schon mal gepostet, aber als FirstSensor noch eigenständig war, hatten sie eine Si-PIN Diode im Angebot, die es wahlweise auch mit aufgesetzten 4mm bzw. 8mm CsI Kristall gab. Die Eigenschaften ohne und mit Kristall für Gammaquanten war im Datenblatt zu sehen. Das wird bei einer BPW34 mit aufgesetztem Kristall auch nicht allzu viel anders rauskommen.

Sie dürfen in diesem Board keine Dateianhänge sehen.

Sie dürfen in diesem Board keine Dateianhänge sehen.

Die Diode hiess X100-7 THD und hatte 10x10mm Fläche.

madexp

Yes I know X100, thank you anyway.
The problem is that such devices are almost impossible to find and for a price that's twice what I pay for a 6x6 SiPM  :)

I've added a comparator, simulated the circuit with Multisim, designed the PCB (22x8x0.8mm size) and send overseas to manufacturer.

The test points are square pads on PCB. The comparator part number is what I've found in my lab, the correct one is written in second schematic.

Now is time to wait... and turn some aluminium enclosures for this project! The circuit will be insert inside a 10mm bore hole.

madexp

Good morning. In previous schematic there is a messing part: 10kOhm parallel to 1nF from IC1 pin 3 to GND.
Now with single PD7430 works well.
video
I've tried to add a CsI(Tl) crystal and... yup it doesn't work at all!!!

And this is the video with crystal: video CsI

opengeiger.de

Hier mal meine Doku aus dem Jahre 2015. Da sieht man die Signalauswertung für die X100-7 Diode mit 8mm CsI Kristall: http://www.opengeiger.de/SzintiGeigerle.pdf

Ich habs grad auch nochmal mit dem Canon Thoriumglas-Objektiv getestet, das SzintiGeigerle funktioniert immer noch bestens und "geht ab wie Schnitzel". Ich hab ein kleines Video gezipped und angehängt, da sieht man das. In der zweiten AluBox befindet sich der Soundgenerator, den ich später hinzugefügt habe. Das ist ein VCO der von den Zählimpulsen getriggert wird. Das Zählimpulssignal geht auf einen Tiefpass und die vom Tiefpass gemittelte Spannung treibt den VCO. Je schneller die Pulse kommen um so höher und schrecklicher wird das Gequietsche.

Bei der Gelegenheit mal eine Frage: wie kann man anders als mit zip ein mp4 Video in der Forum Software anhängen ohne es gleich in youTube zu posten oder auf eine eigene Webseite hochzuladen???

DL8BCN

Ich habe gestern den Vorverstärker in ein Weißblechgehäuse eingebaut und eine BPW34 angeschlossen.
Das Teil ist immer noch empfindlich für Brummen und rauscht auch recht stark.
Kein Wunder, wenn die Spannungsverstärkung wirklich 30000 ist.
Wenn ich nun mit der in Alufolie eingepackten Diode nahe an eine Uranglasur gehe, dann hört man das typische knacken. Ich habe einen kleinen LM386 NF Verstärker da angeschlossen.
Ich werde noch mal mit mehreren parallelen Dioden testen.
Dann verstärkt sich aber vermutlich das Rauschen.
Der LM386 selber rauscht aber auch relativ stark.
Sinnvoll wäre tatsächlich ein zusätzlicher Komparator, der das Rauschen abtrennt und nur die Impulse durchschaltet.
Das Rauschen hat zwischen 50 und 60 mVpp.
Die Impulse bis zu 800mVpp.
Tatsächlich funktioniert diese nackte Fotodiode nur an Uranglasur mit starker Betastrahlung. Für den Nachweis von Gammastrahlung ist die Diode unbrauchbar.
Das hatte unser Kollege ,, Opengeiger" ja schon berichtet.Nun kommt der Szintillator ins Spiel.Ich werde als nächstes mit einem LYSO Kristall testen😎

Radioquant98

Alles mit viel Transistoren rauscht auch mehr. Lieber mit einenem oder zwei rauscharmen Transistoren einen Verstärker aufbauen.
Mehrere Dioden Parallel rauschen auch mehr lieber Eine mit möglichst geringem Reststrom.

Viele Grüße
Bernd